Monday, January 5, 2009

My husband nailed his thumb!

My husband Bob works on finishing the basement when he can't sleep. Well, this morning around 7am he comes up stairs and told Addy to leave the room, which scared me to death! Then he showed me his thumb. He was using a nail gun and shot a nail through his thumb with his nail gun. We spent a couple of hours in the ER this morning. They took xrays, removed the nail with pliers, and put a half cast on his arm. He has to go and see a plastic surgeon tomorrow to make sure that his tendon in his thumb is going to heal properly without surgery, ugh!

Before the ER trip



After the ER

18 comments:

Lisa said...

My hubby did that once too. He was building a wall and shot the nail gun at an odd angle. It went in the bottom of his thumb and his thumbnail stopped it from going all the way through. He yanked it out himself while kicking the steel garage door and cussing up a storm. He went to the doc the next day for a tetanus shot.

MEN!!!

Hope your hubby doesnt do that again.

Frogs in my formula said...

OMG. I don't know what to say except I am glad they removed it!

Jay @halftime lessons said...

Oh my sweet dear baby Jesus.

Am I the only one that has fainted so far?

Judi said...

That SHOULD be one of those things he never lives down!!!!!

Laura said...

Ok, I am a nurse and that is still one of the freakiest things I have seen! HOLY CRAP! Tell Bob to only work on the basement when he is fully rested and not sleepy.

Angela DeRossett said...

My husband used to be a framer so we have seen this before...but I cannot believe you got a picture! That is a true bloggy dedication. LOL Hope his appt's go smoothly and there is no need for surgery!!

Caroline said...

That totally freaked me out!! Yikes!

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Jenn
My daughter just looked at your pics and went rather pale! I do hope your husband does not need surgery. I will not be buying my husband a nail gun EVER!
Lindsay

Ali said...

I'm with Jay--thisclose to fainting! Poor Bob!

Shannon said...

All I can say is OUCH!

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

OMG! I was OK with the photo until I read that it was a nail gun. Uber-ouch!

Michelle said...

My hubby says to say to your hubby. Nice shot man! My hubby did the same thing except he was using a screw gun and broke his thumb knuckle. Almost nailed himself to the back porch. Had to go to ER and then they admitted him for 24 hours. He gave himself blood poisoning. Hope your hubby gets better soon. That's got to hurt. Yikes!

brandi395 said...

That is so nasty! I'm glad you got a picture of it. Tell him if he does it again next month on Bunco day he is on his own!

The Buntens said...

Holy Cow. Ow. Ow. Ow. I am so hoping his thumb is okay!

Bob and Jenn Peacock said...

Thanks everyone! He is doing semi okay. He is already in bed which is a first so he must be not feeling really good still. Good news though, he won't need surgery to fix his tendon. He just needs to keep his thumb/arm splinted for almost a week. It is killing him not to go to work or work in the basement. He told me that he can still work the nail gun if I will hold the 4x4's...yeah right!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ouch, ouch! Glad to hear he wont need surgery. :-)

nanaygin said...

OK! I thought it wasn't so serious until I got a good look at the picture...I'm totally freaked out, now.

GinSpaghetti said...

I just had to come back and see what this was all about. POOOOR hubby! Ouch!!! I totally sympathize though, I was bitten by a dog on my hand and had some nerve damage...it took about six months to regain feeling in my thumb. I hope he has a speedy recovery. Thank goodness he doesn't have to have surgery.

"He told me that he can still work the nail gun if I will hold the 4x4's...yeah right!"

Uhuh... good luck with that!!! I'll send some up for ya! :P