Sunday, August 17, 2008

Overnight Spinach Manicotti

Okay, so there is this great contest going on over at "The Secret is in the Sauce Recipes" and I thought that I might just have a good one here. This recipe is easy, fast, and hides spinach from children...what could be better? So, here is the recipe:



Overnight Spinach Manicotti
1 carton (15-oz.) ricotta cheese
1 pkg (10-oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided use
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided use
1 egg
2 tsp. minced fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
2 jars (28-oz. ea) spaghetti sauce with meat
1-1/2 cups water
1 pkg (8-oz.) manicotti shells

-In large bowl, combine ricotta, spinach, 1 cup of the mozzarella, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, egg, parsley, onion powder, pepper, and garlic powder.
-Combine spaghetti sauce and water; spread 1 cup sauce in an ungreased 9x13 baking dish.
-Stuff uncooked manicotti with spinach mixture (I find this easier to do with a baby spoon); arrange over sauce. Pour remaining sauce over manicotti.
-Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
-Cover and refrigerate overnight.
-Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
-Bake, covered at 350ยบ degrees for 40 minutes, uncover and cook for 15 more minutes or until the cheese on the top is melted.
*My kids love this; they don’t realize that there is spinach in it.
* Tip: to make the filling easier to put in the shells, I use a baby spoon!

So now that you have read (and hopefully will try) my recipe, go over and check out the SITS girls recipe site!

18 comments:

Jennifer P. said...

Not good for me to see photos of delicious food late at night.... :)

Hey! I saw your comment on Heather's blog, and just had to stop in to see who was stealin' my name ;)!

It's nice to meet a fellow JP!

Anonymous said...

Oooooh that looks and sounds yummy!

Ali said...

I love that you don't have to cook the shells! They can be so hard to stuff when cooked. I'll definitely give this a try!

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious! I've never made manicotti before. When I get around to trying it, I'll have to stop by and let you know how it turns out :)

Heather said...

I LOOOOOOVE manicotti! I'm going to have to try this.

Anonymous said...

I saw you over at the MBC. Thank you for the recipe. I am always adding to my collection.

Love your blog.

Tammy

MaricrisG said...

That's a clever way of hiding the spinach! Looks really yummy! I hope you win!

Jenn said...

Looks good! I think I might try that later this week! We're grocery shopping on Thursday so maybe Friday or next week? Either way it looks yummy and I'm sure my family will love it!

Ann Harrison said...

Now that my corner of the world is over it's heat spell I'm definitely going to do this. I lo-o-ove Manicotti!
When it comes to cooking I need all the help I can get. My husband is the cook in the family, but I still try. (He truly enjoys cooking. Me, I just get so stressed out! I wish I didn't, but I do!)
I'll give my two-cents at the recipe contest Jenn!

Threeundertwo said...

This looks great. I've done a recipe like this, and I mixed the cheese stuff in a freezer bag, then cut a hole in the corner and squeezed it to stuff the manicotti.

Yum.

Tyne said...

Mmmm, that sounds great! I have been craving italian food, and bonus- my kids love spinach! Thanks for the recipe and thanks for stopping by!

Shannon said...

That looks yummy! By the way, your new web page looks great!

Rachel said...

Oooo -- that sounds delicious! I'm going to have to add this to my next menu! :)

Rela Pantaleon said...

Hi Jenn, Thanks for visiting my blog. Try out the Lumpia and let me know how it goes!

Meanwhile, this manicottie recipe looks and sounds delicious!!!

Anonymous said...

Today is the first time I have come across your Blog. Love it! You're doing some great work!

I will definitely be trying this recipe. I love manicotti. The last time I made it, it was a pain stuffing the cooked shells. This will be so much easier.

By the way, a tip I picked up from an ex (who was Italian....) When fixing spaghetti and meatballs, don't cook your meat balls before adding them to the sauce. Cook them in the sauce. It works, and it saves time.

Unknown said...

This recipe looks great and looks like something the whole family would love! BTW, I love your blog layout, I'll add you to my favorites : )

t said...

I am making this tomorrow!!! GREAT recipe!

t said...

I am making this tomorrow!!! GREAT recipe!