Okay, so I have been posting pictures of our cute dog. She is really cute, but she is such a bad dog! I don't know how much longer we can take this. We are doing our best to train her, but all she does all day is get up on the counter, eat things she shouldn't, and every time we let her outside to "pee" she just barks her head off and won't come back in the house. I am at my wits end and I don't know what to do. Help!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



15 comments:
I wish I could help but it's been so long since I've had a puppy!
THis is going to sound weird, but I'm being totally honest here...watch some episodes of "At the end of my leash" and "Dog Whisperer". Their tactics really work. We've tried them, and our dog was totally untrained, and he's great now (most of the time). Don't give up! Pups need so much patience...just like little bratty kiddies. :o)
Thanks Mary! Maybe I will order some dog whisperer stuff. I just really don't know what else to do.
Ali, thanks anyway. It has been almost 12 years since we had a puppy too. :(
I'm so sorry to hear this. If all else fails, do you think a training camp will be the answer?
I'm with your friend Ali, it has been 15 years since we had a puppy, and I don't really remember much! Have you tried puppy kindergarten??? I know we did that with our doggie, and it was very helpful. I know they offer classes at PetSmart, but we took our Sadie to Willowcreek Pet Center in Sandy. I hope that helps! Good luck!
Muzzle, Muzzle, Muzzle, for the barking outside, I'm telling you they work. Enroll her in the puppy kindergarten at Petsmart it is a really good class and if anything you will get the basics you need to train her.
Girl I am right there with ya! We have a 10 week old puppy and she is driving me crazy when you find out what to do please tell me.....
I don't have any tips - sorry! But, seeing your eaten up shoes reminds me of those puppy days. Maggie chewed up my husbands (at the time) diploma when she was little. He didn't really seem that upset, but you should have seen him explode when she got to his favorite hat!
Your puppy needs a doggy intervention. I've heard the class at PetSmart is a great class. If Spanky could be trained there is hope for yours too! Good luck!
Good luck with your puppy! I am absolutely no help at all. I know nothing about dogs.
Lindsay
Thanks everyone for all your advice, I really appreciate it!
Sorry your dog has been a PITA! I have no advice!
Check out my first birthday bash at Custom Blog Designs. There will be a blog makeover giveaway, blogging tips, and fun!
The Dog Whisperer stuff is a good idea. He is amazing.
You have to keep a couple of things in mind when training:
#1 They only know their instincts or what you teach them
#2 Consistency is key, if the kids are treating him differently than you are he could be getting confused
#3 For the counters, you can try this: get a can/jar of racquetballs and get rid of the balls. Put coins in it and tighten the lid really good. Set a temptation on the counter and leave the room but peek around the corner. The second he goes for what is on the counter, throw the jar near him (not at him). The sound will scare the crap out of him. You have to do this repeatedly until he seems like he has stopped and you may need to test him occasionally.
#4. For the barking you can actually do the same thing but it's hard when he is outside. For inside barking it works. Taking him out on a leash might solve that. Let him potty, take him right inside the house and give him a reward (milkbone). Do this enough, he will want to come in to get the treat.
They are a lot of work but really they just need guidance and structure...oh and TIRE HIM OUT during the day. They get into less trouble if you wear them out.
Good luck!
Kim has good advice. I've seen that show "It's me or the dog" and the woman does these exact things. You have to do some work though and be consistent. That's the key. Good luck! Don't give up on him or you!!!
It could soo be worse...Nola was a great puppy but I'm having a TIME with her as a "teen" dog... she'll be 2 next month and OMG is going through the worst stuff. Growling, food aggression... trust me, chewing is soo much easier b/c at least you know she'll get over it! Have you tried Nylabones??? Subscribe to their newsletter and get a $2/off coupon every month (that's photocopiable) :) Good luck with her!
Post a Comment