Friday, December 24, 2010

The Best Things in Life are Free!!!

While Bob and I were out last night finishing up our odds and ends for Christmas, we were in a very serious car accident. If any of you were driving northbound on I-15 and were stuck for a bit, I apologize, that would have been us (I believe it was around 90th south). An SUV pulled into our little cars lane and didn't see us. Bob tried to get out of the way but the roads were still a bit wet and we fish tailed until we lost total control of the car and spun across several lanes into oncoming traffic. We collided with one car and then hit the concrete barrier which spun us around again and we came to a full stop facing the direction of oncoming traffic. Thankfully, we were not hit by oncoming trafic. I could not wake Bob up and screamed at him for almost two minutes before he finally opened his eyes...however he kept repeating the same question over and over again. I have never been so scared in my life!!! Our airbags did not deploy so I was really scared that he had hit his head and body really hard.

There was a nice younger man and his wife that stopped to help us (the man said he was a doc). I wish I knew who he and his wife were so I could thank them!!!! In this day and age it takes special people to that sort of kindness. They left after giving a "report" to the paramedics. The paramedics were great as well! They had Bob out of the car real fast and took him to the hospital. By that time Bob was coherent enough that he asked for us to be taken to Riverton's ER (Bob works at the Riverton ER). They then worked on getting me out of the car after placing a C-Collar on me because my neck and lower back were hurting. I was in awe of these guys, they placed me on a back board while I was still in the car...very impressive! They were also very kind and reassuring which made me feel a bit better. They took Bob and I in separate ambulances which was scary for me because I did not know how he was doing. The people in the car we hit were okay!!! Their car wasn't okay, but they were and that was a huge relief for me. I thank the lord that our children were not with us and that there was not any children in the car we collided with. I am also grateful that no other cars were involved; cars going highway speed always scare me because you just can't slow down fast enough.

Our daughter Megan was already at the hospital by the time Bob and I arrived in the ambulance. I can't even imagine how scary that was for her (I love you lots Meg!) to see both her parents carried out of an ambulance. The staff at the ER already knew Megan (from all the times she brought her daddy lunch) which I think made her feel better. I also got a visit from my cute sister which helped to take my mind off things for just a bit (I believe she has a very "black mail'ish" photo of me in the trauma room in that lovely neck brace).

Bob's co-workers took the best care of us! It truly was like you were being taken care of by good friends. They came in to update me on Bob every chance they had, Bob was extremely pale and nauseated. They were guessing that he hit his head really hard on the drivers side window (he has a nice knot there to prove it). We were not allowed to have pain meds at this point so they could monitor our neurological status. I can tell you right now, being strapped down to the body board and having the C-collar on with neck and back pain was terrible. I was fine not having anything for the pain, but man did I want off that board and out of that brace!!

They got both of us in to have CT scans really fast and Bob had a chest xray done. Thankfully, we did not have any major injuries. Bob is suffering from a concussion and a nice goose egg. He is not allowed to have anything stronger than Tylenol so we can watch his neurological status for the next 24 hours; he also has a cervical strain. He is really tired and can't stay awake long which I know is bugging him. He likes to be busy and I think the weight of our unfinished Christmas errands is worrying him. I am okay too; I have a cervical and lumbar strain, but I am lucky to have not suffered a concussion, so I am taking pain meds and muscle relaxers. I am feeling pretty good considering (although I have been told I won't be feeling so well tonight around the 24 hours after the accident mark) and with the help of Megan or my Dad to drive me around today I should be able to get our Christmas stuff finished up.

I haven't seen my car so I have no idea what kind of shape it is in. On the police report it says not drivable so we will have to see.


So, this holiday season, hug the ones you love and please don't forget to tell them how much you love them. Working in the medical field and having my own accidents & losses this year, now more than ever I am convinced that the best things in life are the free things!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

2 comments:

Clark Captions said...

Wow Jennifer! I am sooo sorry! I am very glad that you guys are o.k...what a blessing. Our thoughts and prayers are with you for a quick recovery. I hope you will be able to enjoy the rest of the holiday season.

Lori Knobel said...

Sooooo SCARY! I'm so glad that your and Bob are okay! I can't even imagine what that must have been like! I definitely agree... The best things in life are free! I hope you are both recovering well!